Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Guess who is going to SXSW...

Yours truly...well I'm going to crash SXSW. Perhaps one day I will be cool enough to get my hands on a press wristband, but pass or no pass I have to go...and I am. I've done my research and found free day shows that do not require the highly coveted wristband, RSVP'd for parties, and looked into the tricks of the veterans to this yearly mecca for geeks and hipsters. I fall somewhere in the middle of the two...okay fine, closer to the geek end of the spectrum...but I'm okay with that.

I haven't done a music report in a while so here are some artists that I'm loving and who are performing this year. Caution, this could cause you to go into music overload. I'm completely expecting this to be a monkeys wedding.

  • School of Seven Bells
  • Ida Maria - I thoroughly enjoy her song "I Like You So Much Better When You're Naked".
  • M. Ward - I've been a fan since I first listened to Chinese Translation from his last album, Post War. He took a brief break from the solo scene and teamed up with Zooey Deschanel to form the duo, She & Him. Now he's back on his own, with a little background vocal help from Zooey D, with Hold Time.
  • Winter Gloves - This video is remarkable.
  • Delta Spirit - I saw these guys open for Dr. Dog in Houston and at ACL. They're getting a lot of recognition! During the song Trashcan, they actually play one.
  • Human Highway
  • Meiko - She opened for Josh Radin and I thought she was adorable. I loved her lyrics and she has a great voice.
  • Ladyhawke - She's from New Zealand....it's better than Old Zealand.
  • Heartless Bastards
  • The Avett Brothers - They're from North Carolina and keep true to their roots. I love the song If It's The Beaches. Looking forward to catching them at Jazz Fest too.
  • Peter Bjorn & John - No description needed...they had us at "Young Folks" a couple of years ago.
  • Glasvegas - They have a chick drummer and their from Scotland!
  • Cold War Kids - Free show!!
  • Army Navy - Nope, nothing to do with the military.
  • Grizzy Bear - They are amazing and the new album leaked early...and it rocks. Their video on Blogotheque.net is like indie acapella.
  • Two Hours Traffic - So I like some poppy stuff...it happens on occasion.
  • Aqualung - I will always have a special place in my heart for him.
  • N.A.S.A. - Nope, not the space shuttle people...it stands for North America South America and it represents the nation of electronica.
  • Datarock
  • Passion Pit - I LOVE THIS SONG!!!
  • Women - Not a single one in the band...
  • Matt & Kim - The ENTIRE album is fun!! Daylight is their first single.
  • The Pains of Being Pure at Heart
  • The Soft Pack
  • Handsome Furs
  • Bedouin Soundclash
  • Loney Dear
  • The Bird & the Bee - Their last album is poppy and I loved it. The new single is buzz worthy.
  • Au Revoir Simone - Nope...not from France. They're from Brooklyn and they make beautiful music.
  • Explosions in the Sky - FREE SHOW!!!
  • The Octopus Project - They have a therapin, and they're not afraid to use it!
  • Jonathan Tyler & the Northern Lights - Saw them open for O.A.R. last year and they outperformed the main act.
  • The Little Ones
  • Ra Ra Riot - I absolutely adore this band!!! The lyrics are amazing, they are super nice guys, and put on a ridiculous live performance!!! Listen, listen...listen!
  • The Spinto Band - Oh Mandy!! Can't get tired of it!
  • Wintersleep - One of my favorite albums of 2008...and of course they're Canadian. Canada is putting out some sweet sounds. I love the Weighty Ghost!

I hope my festivalling buddy is ready....let the music festivals begin!!

No comments: