Engineers are known for being frugal, well not all of us, but most...and engineering companies aren't much different. My office building is in the most GHETTO part of Houston and that's not an exaggeration folks. When you turn on the TV in the morning and see murders and other acts of crime....they're in the general vicinity of my office. Here are some things that I've seen and I really can't make this stuff up:
- Helicopters flying around looking for criminals
- Apartment complex across the street blocked off because a body was found in a car
- People throwing bricks at our cars
- A carjacking of a fellow employee in the parking lot...at 2pm
- There's a gym around the corner called "Phat Body Gym" (niiiiice)
- Prostitutes walking on the street and pimps buying them the Subway special of the day
- Last week there was a car pulled over in front of the building, at lunch, and four cops had their guns drawn
- We found bullet holes in the conference room (always a good 'Safety Moment' for meetings)
- The stairwells in the parking garage are locked to keep you from getting mugged...hopefully the elevators don't break.
- The gas on the street is some of the cheapest in Houston, but for fear of my life I won't dare take advantage of the discount.
Unbelievable, right? And I thought that working in the chemical plants was dangerous...